1.30.2009

Bedtime horrors!!

Bedtime in our house has been absolute HELL for the past few months! Not only with Lani, but with Wesley as well. He was complaining about stomach aches every night, complaining about being too hot/cold, cramps, noises, lights, etc. It is so frustrating when you know there is nothing wrong and he is 8 years old. Lani's issues stem from being spoiled and being allowed to sleep in our bed too much. I take 100% blame for that one.

Over the weekend we finally sat Wesley down and talked to him about what is going on. We needed to get to the bottom of his sleeping issues because we found out that it may be affecting his behavior at school. He just can't go about his day on 7 hours of sleep. After a while he started talking about being scared downstairs, hearing noises, and just being plain old scared. We talked about solutions and decided to have the kids share a room. We went through all the pros and cons with Wesley and he seemed okay with them all. We also made sure to tell him that this was not a 2 week fix. They would be sharing rooms for a while since we have to spend so much time swapping everything.

That night we went out and bought a bunk bed for them. We also purchased Lani a mattress and Disney Princess bedding. Michael spent all day Monday putting the bed together. I think the kids finally got to bed around 10pm which was sooo late.

The first night went great and the next nights have been touch and go. Last night though had me rethinking this whole situation!!! They both went to bed great, then Lani woke up because her cup fell off the bed. This in turn woke Wesley up who then went into full anxiety mode. He was hot, his head hurt, he heard talking, blah, blah,blah! Finally I got him calm and Lani woke back up. So at 10pm Michael was reading to Wesley to calm him down and I was getting Lani to sleep. UGH! Such a long night and I am praying that it doesn't happen too often.

Lani ready for bed...I think not!

Hiding under the new bed!

Wesley heading to bed!

12 people showing me love:

Mama Skates January 30, 2009 12:28 PM  

what great pics! especially that B&W one of lani!!! hope things get better...hopefully it's just transition...jaden has recently started needing a night light again, not wanting 2 go brush his teeth alone, things like that...maybe it's the age?

Monica January 30, 2009 12:51 PM  

For your sanity I hope this doesn't continue. Hopefully tonight will be better!

Anonymous January 30, 2009 2:03 PM  

That is hard. I have heard many good things from those whose children share a room and has been a success. Beautiful pics! I hope he still doesn't have a bit of the flu or something.

Anonymous January 30, 2009 3:39 PM  

We could change this post & insert my kiddies names & I could post this on my blog!!!!!!

How ironic! Bobby & I are @ our wits end & it is SO difficult functioning during the day when you're sleep deprived~for kiddies & the parents.

Hope your situation gets better now that you're trying them sharing a room. Cute pics of them though ;)

Heidi January 30, 2009 9:47 PM  

I feel for you with the bedtime issues! We have our own set of bedtime issues here. I hope things get better soon. Check out my latest post. I have something for you.

Mizé January 31, 2009 12:24 AM  

Hi.
First, I´d like to thank you for always dropping by my (sometimes) abandoned blog. I dedicate more time to other blogs I have.
About your post:
My daughter used to have bad dreams and wake up crying all the time.
When I sat and talked with her she finally explained she was affraid a bad monster would come out of the closet to take her (we just had bought her the film Monsters & Company which she used to see over and over).
When she told me that, I finally found a way to have peace: Every night, before going to bed, I would open the closet and show her there´s nothing wrong there while explaining that monters belong to TV fiction. Problem solved for long months!
I thinks kids always have some type of fear, we just need to aknowledge it (don´t deny or ignore it) and help them face what´s bothering them.
I agree with you, all the aches (if he´s not really sick) can be his way of saying: "Hey! I´m loosing my privileges! I want my mom´s bed back :)
As they grow up, they´ll want their own space.
All the best, Mizé.

Jessica January 31, 2009 12:34 PM  

Goodness, I'm so sorry! I hope they adjust soon & you ALL get some much needed sleep!

Also, I wanted to let you know that my friend is doing a giveaway on her blog for reedeez & I thought you might be interested (the giveaway ends today)

http://www.domesticadventures.com/?p=1962

Melissa January 31, 2009 7:20 PM  

First of all, those are some adorable pictures!!

Second, I hope nightime is better now. Poor Wesley, I can remember being scared when i was a kid, not fun!!

Mason and Terri's Mom January 31, 2009 11:25 PM  

THANK GOD your trying this out. Our kids are really close in age and the same sex and I have totally thought about doing this. Mason is 7 and Terri is well the same age as Lani. :-/ KEEP US UPDATED!!!!!!!!! I really wanna do it NOW then in a year when we move (so sooner) to a bigger home they can have their own rooms again. I want them to have this companionship now and just have a "playroom" / "office space" for the extra room. DUDE that would be SWEET!! I'm totally going to use this comment as a blog post. ha ha haa. try me! (u get some credit 4real!)

Mason and Terri's Mom January 31, 2009 11:26 PM  

BTW, if I didn't say so in my last comment...KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT MAMA YOUR DOING GREAT and GOOD LUCK!

Mason and Terri's Mom January 31, 2009 11:31 PM  

WHY did I say Mason was 7? Mason is NOT 7 he's only 6 gah wheres my head. OH YEAH STILL AT CHICK FIL A!

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum February 02, 2009 9:52 PM  

Those pics are adorable.

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP