11.14.2008

help!!

Alex turned 2 in September! He's always been the best kid and never gave me any trouble. Lately he's been doing the strangest thing every day at lunch. He VOMITS!!! His Mom, the doctor, and I agree that it's a total attention thing. We were have treating it like a behavior. So, I was telling him it's not okay to puke, blah blah blah! We also had a treat for him everyday when he doesn't puke. You know...to bring a positive vibe to the whole nasty situation.

Well, none of that worked so I talked to one of my best friends who is also an early child hood educator. Michelle gave the advice to just ignore the behavior all together. When he does it just clean it up and go on with the post lunch routine. Today I even gave him lunch earlier then all the other children so it was just the two of us. Today, he still puked and freaked out. I assume it's because I ignored the puking and he was trying to get my attention in another way. I still ignored him. Just had him go potty and then to nap on his mat.

SIGH!! I am getting so frustrated with cleaning the mess up each day. I can't just starve the kid, but it's crossed my mind...LOL!!

I hate to talk about my child care kids in a negative matter. I don't mean for this to come across like that. I'm just looking for support, advice, and ideas from any of you! Have you ever dealt with this or known anyone who has?

14 people showing me love:

Anonymous November 14, 2008 11:42 AM  

No more milk. My daughter had the same thing going on. It wasn't a lactose intolerance or allergy, it had more to do with milk & mucous (sorry I know that sounds gross). Anyway, try no milk before dinner for a week and see if if it helps.

Anonymous November 14, 2008 11:56 AM  

Oh no, that's terrible~I know that has to be tough cleaning it up frequently. I've never heard of anything like that so I'm not much help but I'll keep you (& Alex) in thought & hope it gets resolved soon.

*Let us know if you find out the reason (s) behind this & keep us updated.

Melissa November 14, 2008 12:01 PM  

Oh wow, I am so sorry you have to clean that up every day. I wonder what is wrong that he has to vomit for attention? Pretty gross too. Sorry again!

Kristin November 14, 2008 1:09 PM  

I have no experience with this...

If it's an attention issue, I would be tempted to make him clean it up (or help, as much as a 2 year old can). Once he gets sufficiently grossed out & finds that cleaning it up isn't so fun, he might find a less messy way of getting attention.

I know that sounds harsh...

Momisodes November 14, 2008 2:46 PM  

I am so sorry this is happening. I have not come across this yet, but I would agree with tx poppet and kristin's advice.
Either way, I hope it all works out soon. Hang in there.

Monica November 14, 2008 4:26 PM  

Aric does this some times but he's disabled and has an extremely sensitive gag reflex.

I feel SO bad that you have to deal with that every day of the week. Maybe you could have a wastebasket (w/ a liner in it) sitting beside him and tell him to puke in that. That way all you have to do is take out the liner and throw it in the outside garbage can.

I pretty much do the same thing for Aric only it's a plastic bowl. I then dump the puke into a plastic bag and put it into the outside garbage can. That way I'm not constantly cleaning up one heck of a mess!

Hope that helps :)

Jenn November 14, 2008 8:58 PM  

Yes I agree with Monica. My daughter has Sensory Integration issues...and she would vomit up certain foods as a toddler. It was a texture issue and gag reflex from it.

Her pediatrician back home always passed if off...Now she is 12 and we are in Occupational Therapy for it.

Perhaps the mom would consider getting a second opinion from a nutritionist. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

It could be an attention thing, but it could be a real issue that is also frustrating the child because the child doesn't understand what is going on with him either.

Thinking of you, the mom, and Alex prayerfully. jenn

AM November 14, 2008 11:23 PM  

wow, I am so sorry you have to deal with that daily. No advice here, but keep us updated. And I cant believe how old he is getting! I remember when he started with you and was just a little baby. Sigh.

Anonymous November 15, 2008 8:17 PM  

I did this when I was a child and it turned out to be a milk allergy. I would try taking his milk away just to make sure it's not something like that.

Rebekah Gonzalez November 15, 2008 9:44 PM  

Yikes no fun! no fun! I don't know that I can agree that its a sensory issue (like texture or gag issue)...because hes only doing it at lunch right... Is he running around or really active right before lunch? I know over stimulation can cause some kids to puke. If so perhaps a cool down time before eating. I know my 2 year old gets grossed out pretty easily...if I made her help clean it up and it was only an attention getting thing...she would stop. Best wishes keep us updated.

Sara November 15, 2008 9:45 PM  

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Since his mom knows, does he do it at home as well? I would just put a bucket up under him and then at least it's contained.

*HUGS*

SJINCO November 17, 2008 3:19 PM  

Was curious if he did the vomit thing at home too, or just with you? He seems sort of young but is he thinking that he'll get 'sent home' if he gets sick? I remember when Keven Jr. figured out that trick....

Could be a milk allergy, or even a sensitive gag reflex. Whatever it is, I hope you get it figured out soon! Vomit = GROSS!

Becca November 18, 2008 11:57 PM  

I've never heard of anything like this. I hope you resolve it soon!

Mizé November 19, 2008 7:17 PM  

Hi.
If it was my child, first I would make sure it´s not a biological problem. After being sure of that, than we can draw some conclusions like SJ and other commentors pointed out:
Get to know this child´s story first, then analyze:
How frequently does he vomit?
In which situations?
Does it have to do with food? Which foods?
How does he reacts after vomiting?
If it´s an attention issue than it´s missing at home and reflecting in daycare.
How does the mother/father deals with him? And when he vomits, what do they do?
Does he have sisters or brothers?
How does he relates with other kids?
etc.
After all this answers than you can check if it´s a psicological issue or not.
Gotta have pacience to deal with this cases, it can be a food disorder caused by something else.
Hope it helps. All the best. Mizé.

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP