1.23.2008

My Story

I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) when I was about 24 years old, although I began to notice symptoms when I was 15. Of course, I had no idea what they meant and had never heard of PCOS. Michael and I were trying to get pregnant, but I was not having my period and this was making the whole process rather difficult. We went to see a fertility doctor to find out what was going on. If you are not menstruating, then you are not ovulating. So, after many, many, many tests, I was given the diagnosis of PCOS, a pamphlet, some medicine to control my insulin and androgen levels, told to stay away from carbs and lose weight. Well, I did start losing weight and I did get pregnant about 4 years later.

I am of course so thankful to have Lani, but I am so angry about how I was treated by the doctor. I had no idea what PCOS was and all the symptoms that came with it. Thank God I have a mild case but I do have many of the symptoms such as weight gain, oily skin, increased hair growth(embarrassed to admit this one), insulin resistance, skin tags, no menstrual periods, and thinning hair(not excessive). When I think back, I started to notice hair where it shouldn't be when I was about 15. I even went to the doctor and was told this is completely normal!!

I began doing some research on PCOS and found so many fabulous women on MySpace who are suffering from the same things as me. I also have a good blogger friend who has this condition. I am angry that more wasn't done to help me deal with this diagnosis and that I was treated so horribly, but I am so THANKFUL for my dear internet for providing me with a fabulous support group!!

I went back to see this same doctor for my yearly exam so that we could talk a little more about my PCOS diagnosis. I also wanted to get back on the medications that I wasn't able to take during my pregnancy and the 16 months that I nursed Lani. Once Lani was weaned all of my symptoms began to flare up like I have never experienced. The most devastating was the weight gain. Within a month I had gained 10 pounds and am now at my highest weight ever. I have joined Weight Watchers, but this wont help much until I can get my insulin levels under control. I also stopped menstruating again so after a few tests I will be prescribed a medicine that will make me have my period. This is because in woman over 30, not having your period can cause pre cancerous cells to grow. GAH! I heard that word come out of the doctors mouth and I freaked.

Now I wait for the test results and also a referral to an endocrinologist. I will continue to try and lose the weight and get these symptoms a little more under control. I will begin to research some great websites to inform all of my readers. Pleas feel free to email (wesnlani at gmail dot com) me if you have any questions!!

0 people showing me love:

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP