10.05.2007

Finally!!

Last February I wrote about "C"! I watched her son "L" for a few months and she started having some personal problems and wasn't keeping up with her payments. I was willing to help her out because I felt bad...she was young, L's Dad left, blah, blah, blah!!! Eventually she stopped bringing L and I was still owed $150 from her. I was livid that she would do this after I gave her a reduced rate, let her pay me late, etc. So, I began taking steps to getting my money back because I watched L daily for at least 8 hours and deserved to be paid and C needed to take responsibility!!!

Here is what I did over SEVERAL months:

*Attempted to contact her numerous times by telephone with no call backs

*Sent her numerous certified letters stating how much she owed plus the late fees that she was accruing. (the late fee policy is stated in my handbook that I pass out to all parents) All letters went ignored and unclaimed.

*I mailed a letter to her house with copies of everything that I had been attempting to mail along with a letter stating that if she did not pay me by ...... then I would be filing with the small claims court. I knew I would have no proof that she received this but I just wanted to give her the chance to pay. At this point she owed me $350 with late fees and I was willing to forgive those also.

*I never heard from her so I attempted to call her on the date I gave her and she actually answered. Her reply was that she was going to use her income tax return to pay me. Once again, I was too nice, and told her I would wait until the first week in May and if I had no money than I would file the claim. Well, guess what she didn't pay me! Big surprise!!

*I went to the court and filed the claim and a certified letter was sent to C letting her know that she owed me $500 and that I filed the claim. This is the number that she owed me at this point and although I could still be charging her, I am not and I have kept it at this number. She ignored these letters.

*I then filed to have her served by a Sheriff at her home and place of work. The papers were hand delivered letting her know that she had to request a trial or just pay me the money owed. She had until August something to make this decision.

*Today I received a letter stating "case defaulted on Defendants (C) failure to answer claim or appear for hearing. Judgment for Plaintiff (ME)" YAY!!! Of course, this does not mean she will pay me, so the next step is to file something called a "Motion for Periodic Payments" after 30 days. The court will schedule a hearing that she HAS to show up for in person with cash in hand or a way to make payments for the judge to approve. If she does not show up for this then she will have a warrant out for her arrest.

I feel bad that it has come to this, but I work hard to take care of these kiddos and I deserve to be paid just like she deserved to be paid at her job. I just can't believe that she has been ignoring all these papers from the court!! I have sent her plenty of letters outlining what the end result could be, but I guess she does not care!!

During this process I found that she lies, A LOT!! Many things that she told me trying to get my sympathy were untrue. I just hope that she learns something from this and that despite her short comings that she is a good Mom to L!!

13 people showing me love:

Shannon October 05, 2007 3:50 PM  

omg how can someone be so stupid to ignore things from court... argh... I hope you get your money girl!!

SJINCO October 05, 2007 4:43 PM  

Oh wow....

Good for you for sticking to your guns and handling this in a professional manner.

And really, people think they can just get away with this stuff?

Donna October 05, 2007 5:34 PM  

Yuck. We will have to talk because b/w 2 customers we are owed a grand and I wasn't sure we had anyway of trying to get this money!

Anonymous October 05, 2007 5:53 PM  

If there's one bad thing about keeping kids in your home, I'd say that has to be it~when you have to deal w/financial problems like this! Good luck to you as you go thru this process :)

Trace October 05, 2007 6:59 PM  

Talk about ample opportunity to make things right! Good for you though for fighting for it... hopefully she comes to her senses before a warrant is issued!

BS October 05, 2007 7:07 PM  

I had a similar situation once. After I threatened small claims court and attaching her wages - she sent me part of the money and several post dated checks. On the day they were dated for, I trotted myself to her bank and cashed each one, each time. It took several years to get repain and of course, I have never heard from her again!! Keep persuing this woman - you deserve your pay plus interest (and court costs too!)

Andrea October 05, 2007 9:51 PM  

Whew!! What a process...but i am on your side! She DOES need to have the responsibility to pay what she owes...hopefully this will show her that she cannot just run away and ignore her bills, etc.

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ October 05, 2007 11:10 PM  

OMG! Talk about being taken advantage of! That is Horrible! She could of avoided all this if she just faced it and paid you. Even if it was $20.00 a week until was paid.
Do you ever Bump into her in Public?

la bellina mammina October 06, 2007 11:48 AM  

I'm sorry you have to go through all that. Hopefully she'll pay you by the appointed date!

Anonymous October 06, 2007 4:49 PM  

Hi Wendy! I just wanted to let you know that I changed my blog url & blog name~you can now find me @ http://devotedmama.blogspot.com. Please update your link! Sorry if it's any trouble ;)

Emma in Canada October 06, 2007 8:44 PM  

Good for you Wendy! I can't believe someone would do that.

Summer October 07, 2007 1:53 PM  

I also hope you get your money!!!

Dianna October 07, 2007 5:38 PM  

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!We have a lot to be thankful for, don't we? Hope you're having a wonderful time with family.

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP