9.21.2007

Piercings

Michael and I have been contemplating getting Lani's ears pierced since she was a month old. Each time the plans are made we decide not to do it. Last night I asked him about it again after seeing a little girl on TV who looked soooo adorable with her tiny diamond earings. Once again we decided that we were going to take her tonight and make the plunge.

Well, I woke up this morning and changed my mind once again!! I called Michael and told him I just couldn't put Lani through the pain just because we want her to look cute. Who knows what next week will bring, but for right now we are waiting:)

When did you pierce your babies ears and was it as traumatic as I am making myself believe? Be honest!!!

17 people showing me love:

Sara September 21, 2007 12:25 PM  

Both of the girls were over 2 years old. We did the oldest ears at the mall with a doctor, I think she was about 2 1/2. I have my ears pierced and she wanted to be like mommy. :) My youngest was pretty close to two, if not two already. It's hard to say no to someone walking around saying "ears ears" while holding their lobes. *LOL* We had hers done with a double gun *same time piercing* at Claire's in the mall. I don't think it was traumatic for them, just for me, I cannot stand watching anything happen with needles to myself or others.

She's still pretty young, give it a few years, maybe she will decide on her own. I was 10!

Becca September 21, 2007 12:52 PM  

I hadn't even thought about it. I didn't get mine pierced until I was in second grade, so part of me wants to wait until she is old enough to ask for it. I'm kind of like you, I hate putting them through the pain. At least when they are younger they won't remember. I remember my experience like it was yesterday!

Donna September 21, 2007 4:45 PM  

Merci was 16 months. They didn't do it at the same, time as I hoped, but it wasn't bad. She cried after the fact (the first one), kinda a delayed reaction and then they gave her a lollipop and she was done crying!=)

Anonymous September 21, 2007 5:17 PM  

I can't help you w/this issue, being that I have 2 boys, LOL! But, Justin has asked a couple times to get one of his ears pierced. To which Bobby & I both said No & told him if he wants that done he'd have to wait til he moves out.

Would you let Wesley if he asked?

I do think it's cute when baby girls have their ears pierced though. But if I had a baby girl, I'd probably be just like you!

Have an awesome weekend!

Trace September 21, 2007 7:10 PM  

I don't have kiddies, but I can tell you my story. :) My Mum had my ears pierced when I was 3 going on 4 and I had these studs with gorgeous blue stones. When I went to kindergarten I was the only girl with pierced ears and all the kids were like 'Ohh pretty' and someone actually ripped one of the studs out of my ear. My Mum let them close up after that (she was more traumatised than I was when she saw the state of my ear..lol) and I had them re-pierced when I was 7. :)

Trace

Anonymous September 21, 2007 9:31 PM  

One of my blog friends got her daughter's ears pierced because everyone thought the baby was a boy! She had it done by the baby's doctor and said that the whole thing was done in no time at all. So if you and Michael decide on piercing then I vote for having Lani's doctor do the dirty work--not the mall people!

Jessica September 22, 2007 8:26 AM  

I myself still have virgin ears! My parents let us decide if we wanted thme pierced & I just never brought myself to have it done.

Also, my family is highly allergic to metals & my mom & sister have a difficult time finding earring that don't irritate their skin.

So, I don't have mine pierced & I think I'll just let Addison decide when she wants it done. :)

FlipFlop Mom September 22, 2007 11:40 PM  

My daughter didn't get hers pierced until she was about 6.. mostly cause at the time I was a POOR single mom for awhile.. so I never even thought to do it when she was small...

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ September 23, 2007 9:46 AM  

I had Tori's done when she was about 6 months old they did it at the same time....she cried for about maybe 15 minutes after but all in all she did really well. They didn't give her any issues. Then when I had Whitney I thought about getting hers done. after I really gave it some thought I decided to wait until she asked me. I felt like maybe this is one decision my daughter can make since now-a-days they have so little say in what they want. Whitney asked me when she was 5 and now 4 years later she got her second hole on her 9th birthday....
Good luck in what ever you choose...I used to Peirce ears when I worked at the Salon and there were a lot of little girls getting them done. Some never even budged. but then again some did...go with your gut!

Good Luck to you!

Mason and Terri's Mom September 23, 2007 2:03 PM  

Terri was 4MO and they "marked" them, then 2 girls went in and did them BOTH at the same time! She DIDN'T even cry. She was startled!

GO ahead and DO IT!! The longer you wait the more of the chances that she will pull them out.

DO IT TODAY!!!!

Mason and Terri's Mom September 23, 2007 2:05 PM  

BTW...ALL little girls want their ears pierced!! DON'T wait to "ask her".....DO IT TODAY! Besides when they get to be 3/4 (my friends had her lit'l girls done) and she wanted it SO bad but she was too nervous and she was crying to get it done WHILE she was crying b/c she was so scared of the (non existing)pain.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!

That Chick Over There September 23, 2007 4:10 PM  

My daughter was seven. We did it on her birthday and she felt very special. :)

Shanilie September 23, 2007 9:02 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shanilie September 23, 2007 9:03 PM  

Oh! I think Lani would look amazing with her little ears pierced. My aunt did her twin girls when they turned one and they didn't even notice because they were too busy drinking from their bottle. It heals quick and I find it is better in the long run. I waited till I was 9 and was SOOOO scared, and even though I got through it,once I tried to start wearing different earings I was too scared to put them in so I let them grow over till I was 13 and had to do it all over again lol.

Isabel September 24, 2007 1:11 PM  

I always think it's so cute when little girls have pierced ears. But I'm not sure I would dare do it to my own baby either.

My mom didn't let me get mine pieced until I was like 7. And dude, I swear I was the only girl in school that didn't have hers done. (I eventually ended up with like a million piercings. I think I was making up for lost time.)

Good luck!

Pam September 24, 2007 5:15 PM  

came by way of la bellina's blog...youngest they would pierce ears is at 3 mos. so that's what my x and i did w both our girls. they cried for about 5-10 mins. i think the noise startled them more than the pain...but i can't be sure.

my mom wouldn't let me get mine done until i was 10. as a teen, i got them pierced two more times...as an adult, a nose piercing and a tongue one, too. lol but i no longer have the latter two.

Amy Swor January 08, 2008 2:35 PM  

I know I'm late to the discussiion, but your question whether or not to pierce your dd's ears was similiar to our dilemma.

We did our dd @27mos. I wanted to have our dd's ears pierced early, but was unsure. However, I kept seeing babies and little girls with pretty little earrings and knew our dd would look so cute with them too. Since you are noticing other little girls with earrings like I did, then you're mommy intuition is telling to go ahead now.

Asked our ped who urged me to go ahead when mommy can care for them. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced including some OTC meds to minimize any discomfort. They worked fine and our dd looks adorable with little gold studs and never plays with them.

If you'd like our ped's suggestions, write me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP