9.27.2007

I had no idea...

...how serious Polycystic Ovary Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is for some women. This is not something that I have talked about in detail on my blog. Mostly because I really had no idea how many women were affected by this condition!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 24 years old, while visiting a fertility doctor. Michael and I were trying to get pregnant, but I was not having my period and this was making the whole process rather difficult. If you are not menstruating, then you are not ovulating. So, after many, many, many tests, I was given the diagnosis of PCOS, a pamphlet, some medicine to control my insulin and androgen levels, told to stay away from carbs and lose weight. Well, I did start losing weight and I did get pregnant about 4 years later.

I am of course so thankful to have Lani, but I am so angry about how I was treated by the doctor. I had no idea what PCOS was and all the symptoms that came with it. Thank God I have a mild case but I do have many of the symptoms such as weight gain, oily skin, increased hair growth(embarrassed to admit this one), insulin resistance, skin tags, no menstrual periods, and thinning hair(not excessive). When I think back, I started to notice hair where it shouldn't be when I was about 15. I even went to the doctor and was told this is completely normal!!

I am slowly trying to wean Lani so that I can continue taking these medications. I can tell that the symptoms are flaring up again and I want to stop them from getting worse! The hardest one is my weight...I can't lose more than a few pounds at a time! GRRR!!!

I began doing some research on PCOS and found so many fabulous women on MySp@ce who are suffering from the same things as me. I also am a good blogger friend with someone who also has the condition. I am angry that more wasn't done to help me deal with this diagnosis and that I was treated so horribly, but I am so THANKFUL for my dear internet for providing me with a fabulous support group!!

If you notice yourself having any of these symptoms, please go talk to your doctor!

4 people showing me love:

Happy September 27, 2007 9:00 PM  

Losing weight is tough, especially w/PCOS. Yes, many women are affected by it and can't have bio children. We have male infertility and I have a variety of medical issues. I can't quite understand your pain, but I can understand the pain of having a chronic medical condition...it just sucks!

Anonymous September 28, 2007 7:55 AM  

I've had & am currently having some of these *exact* symptoms!! I'm going to ask my dr. about it! Thanks for this post :)

Shanilie September 28, 2007 3:29 PM  

I had no idea. That is scary because I have all of those symptoms and in the past missed several menstruations. I am really interested in talking to the doctor about this. I will let you know how it goes when I do.

mAsOn & tErrI's mOm October 01, 2007 11:52 AM  

I just emailed you! ;-*

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP