3.08.2010

Ride On....

Wesley participated in his very first Pine Wood Derby race for Boy Scouts. Although we had NO idea what we were doing Wesley did great and had an awesome time. He and Michael built an AC/DC themed car. I may be partial, but I think it was the coolest looking car there ;} 

Wesley placed 4th out of 9 boys in his den. Now that we know a little more about how things are done next year will go MUCH better. I think that everyone in our town just assumed that we all had been in scouts before. We were given a car kit and said be here on this date. Yeah....that didn't work out so well. Wes' car looked great, but didn't weigh enough. We just thought it couldn't be OVER 5 ounces, but it had to be exactly that much. So, Michael glued $2 worth of quarters to the bottom. 

The track was pretty high tech and I guess our Pack spent a lot of time raising money for it. It's totally electronic and has special software that keeps track of the cars place and speed. Did you know the average speed of these little buggies is 200mph? I didn't! 


waiting to race
The boys waiting at the finish line for their cars. There were 9 boys and only 4 slots so there were quite a few races to make sure each car raced the others. 

at the finish line
Here is Wesley's car. The other side had the AC/DC logo! "26" is our families lucky number so he stuck it on there. 

Ride On....
His den getting their participation ribbons and trophies for the top 3 cars. I REALLY wish they didn't do the trophies because there were WAY too many hurt little boys. Especially the boys in the younger Den's. They just didn't understand why they weren't getting a cool race car trophy. Wesley actually handled himself well and I was super proud of him! We talked a lot about the fact that he may not win and how to handle himself if that did happen. He even congratulated the winner from his Den. I was shocked by such a mature move:} 

thanks for participating....

2 people showing me love:

Monica March 09, 2010 11:54 AM  

Great job Wes! 4th place is nothing to be ashamed about.

Mama Skates March 18, 2010 11:17 AM  

it was the same for us...here's ur car, see ya at the race! i asked the Den leader if we could see some examples of other cars & he asked the boys to bring their old cars to the next meeting...but none did...i was worried we were doing it all wrong, but it turned out pretty awesome! we also had to add a bunch of weight to the car when we got to the race...luckily, our leader brought along a bunch of extra weights & we glued em to the bottom too...Wesley's car is soooo cool! & yes, what a mature move...they're growing up so fast! :0(

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP