5.19.2009

Our Garden Journey

For the past several years Michael and I have been talking a lot about building a raised garden for our backyard. Something always got in the way. Mostly Michael's inability to build things, lol! This year I came upon a post over at Pioneer Woman's blog and showed him how simple it could be. We made a list, checked it twice (still forgot a few things) and headed out to Home Depot. I had a budget of $150, but to my surprise we only spent $56.00. WOAH!! That is my kind of project:) Of course this didn't include the loam, manure, cmpost etc. In all we spent about $200 on the whole project. Next year will be much less since we wont have to buy loam.

Our raised garden

Many people are asking us why we didn't just clear a piece of our land. The reason is because we have HORID soil! It's sandy and we can hardly grow grass. We didn't think that vegetables would do so well.

We spent some time this weekend adding some fertilizer, compost, and worms to the garden. The kids were great helps! Lani even put on her special gardening outfit for the occasion.

Princess Gardener

Hard work


Mixing in worms"Hey You!!"

A few weeks ago I went with my friend Lisa to a free gardening seminar at a local library. The speaker was super imformative and gave us lots of new and helpful information. So, now with everything she shared and help from Michael's Dad we should have a pretty good crop this year:) I plan on sharing some of what I learned in my next post. We'll be planting this weekend and praying that we don't get another frost covering like we did last night.

8 people showing me love:

Monica May 19, 2009 5:15 PM  

I like Lani's outfit! You can't go wrong with Old Navy, lol!!

What will you be planting??

Melissa May 19, 2009 11:01 PM  

So jealous! Our soil is horrible too. That raised garden sounds like a good plan, maybe whenever we get our new house. LOVE the dora gloves!

Ashlie- Mommycosm May 20, 2009 9:31 AM  

I am SO showing my husband this post. We've been talking about doing a raised garden in our yard for a couple of years. Good to know it wasn't all that expensive.

Jennifer Suarez May 20, 2009 9:45 AM  

OMG Lani looks SO CUTE in that first picture!!

A raised garden is such a cool idea!! I bet you'll have a lot less weeds too. I might just have to give this a whirl myself. Thanks!

PS: Wanted to let you know I'm hosting another awesome giveaway on my blog! Click here to enter!

Jessica May 20, 2009 9:45 AM  

LOVE those pictures of Lani, so cute! I really want a garden, I'm just no convinced I would take care of it. Other than my family, I tend to put off tending to other things...

Donna May 20, 2009 10:02 AM  

Can't wait to see how your garden grows!! I just bought om e tomatoes and corn plants today, I will just plop them in the ground and see what happens. I see LOTS of worms in our dirt so it must be decent.

Jesser May 20, 2009 11:47 PM  

Really cute photos. The raised beds are SOOO worth it. We did one too (for differnt reasons), but I think it is worth TONS to start with awesome soil. Good luck with the garden.

Mama Skates May 25, 2009 11:16 PM  

yet again - amazing pics! we're having fun with our raised bed (inspired by P Dub) too! :0)

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP