1.25.2009

Poor sweet little deer!

Most of you have already heard about Michael's adventure with the kids on Friday night on Facebook and Twitter. Here is the whole story and the photos I took of the car at the tow yard today.

On Friday night we went to our friends Michelle and Dans for dinner as a family. The kiddos played, and watched movies while the adults ate dinner together. Soon Michelle and I headed down to her craft room for some scrapbooking. Michael let Lani and Wesley play for a while longer then headed home. We had taken both cars since we knew I would want to stay later. Michelle and I love our late night crops:)

I was about to finish my first page when my cell phone rang and Michael's name was on caller id. I figured one of the kids wanted to chat, but it was Michael telling me that he had just hit a deer. Once I made sure everyone was okay I told Michael to hang up and dial 911 and I was on my way. I headed out and the 15 minute ride felt like hours. Why must people go the speed limit when I am in a rush?

I arrived at the scene and there were two officers because a few other cars hit the deer carcas and damaged the underside of their cars so it was pretty busy. The officer that was helping Michael and the kids was incredibly nice and helpful. I ran over to the car where Lani and Wesley were watching movies on my iPod in the backseat. As soon as they saw me the tears started flowing for all of us. My poor sweeties!! Wesley said he wasn't scared, but just felt so bad for the deer. My little animal lover is so sensitive when it comes to things like this. Lani just said "Oh no Mommy. Daddy ripped the car", lol! Rippped....haha!!

Michael was on a busy strech of road going about 55mph when the deer just bounded right out in front of him. He didn't even see her until she was flying up over the car!! GAH!! Thank God Wesley was sleeping and didn't see this happen. He is already tramatized at the thought of it so the real thing would not have been good. Michael said he had a hard time controlling the car, but managed to keep them from flipping over. It was close, but the impact slowed them down just enough.

Luckily we have fabulous insurance so right now we are driving one of these. It's nice, but I don't think I would ever buy one. Not much for leg room in the back seat and the suspension is not great on the frost heaves that are starting to show themselves here in New Hampshire. We will find out on Monday what the next steps are and wether or not the car will be totaled. It's a 2001 so I am sure it will be, but you just never know. Please pray that it is since we were planning on getting a new car in the next few months. This would really hinder the trade in value.

Never a dull moment in the Demers household!!

The damage

9 people showing me love:

Mama Skates January 25, 2009 10:00 PM  

WOW!!! praise God everyone was ok & michael was able 2 keep the car from flipping! how scary!!! hope it's totaled too!

Jesser January 25, 2009 10:56 PM  

It is too bad (especially for the deer), but the timing is AOK, I think. :) Hope you can get a great car for a great price like we did!!! Good luck.

SJINCO January 25, 2009 11:32 PM  

Holy Cow! WOW.

I'm so glad that everyone was okay! I can't even imagine how scary this was for everyone - and yes, the poor deer.

I'm just glad everyone is safe. And I hope you get the car you'd like out of it all.

Shanilie January 26, 2009 7:20 AM  

eeeek scary! Thank goodness no one was hurt and thank goodness for insurance!

Anonymous January 26, 2009 8:40 AM  

Glad that everyone is ok, most importantly~cars can be replaced; people can't. Isn't it just amazing how much damage can result from hitting a deer?

My Daddy & 2 younger sisters (& their boyfriends) were on their way to my house on Thanksgiving nite, & they hit a deer. My sister had had her car for not even a year & hers looked like your car. They had great ins. too & got a rental car & her car was repaired & you can't even tell it was ever in need of repair!

Hope your car can be repaired or that you can get a new car (which I know you've been wanting for a while now) for a reasonable price. Keep us updated!

I'm just really glad that Michael & the kids were ok~that's the most important thing :)

Melissa January 26, 2009 8:43 AM  

How scary!! Glad Michael and the kids are oK!! Good luck with the car.

Donna January 26, 2009 2:23 PM  

Oh man! That sinks. So glad everyone is OK.

Poor deer=(

Hope this works out for getting a new car!! HHR's are UGLY.

BS January 26, 2009 7:52 PM  

OUCH ! Glad that everyone is OK ('cept for the Hyundai - looks like the same color as mine!)

FlipFlop Mom January 28, 2009 7:41 PM  

OH GOSH!! I am so glad everyone was ok.. 55 is pretty fast.. to have a deer spring up on you!!!

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP