12.18.2008

NH Ice Storm 2008

So many people in New England and beyond were affected by the ice storm that left us with out power for 5 days. I know that some people in New Hampshire STILL are in the dark!!

Last Thursday morning I saw on our local news that we were going to be dealing with some nasty ice that night. I had a feeling that we would be losing power so I made sure that I caught up on laundry and most of the dishes. The weather was yucky all day and by 11:30 and I laid my head down to sleep the power went out. Little did I know that we would be out for so long. Wesley ended up in our room because he was hearing noises outside. I hardly slept because I was hearing those same noises. What we were hearing was the pine tree branches and other trees in our neighborhood snapping and falling to the ground. At one point I thought it was gun shots. I was up around 5am because the trees were so loud. Once the sun came up we got the full view of what was going on. YIKES!!! Michael tried to get to work, but all the roads were blocked by downed trees. In a way I was glad because I really wanted him home. Here are some photos from around our yard.

another view

our poor silver maple

Bending

crack

I really wish that I had taken more photos of the ice, but things were just so crazy around here. Our neighbors and best friends had a propane heater at their house and invited us to stay there. We packed up Friday night and headed over there since it was already 46 in the house. We had a great time really and the kids were fine. I am in shock how well everyone slept and got along. I think we all knew to make the best of it since there's nothing we can do. One of the days we got a generator and hooked their sump pump and TV up to it:) Ahhh....the TV!!! Jen and I even went to a ghetto laundry mat the next town over. She had 15 loads since her basement flooded. UGH!!!

Playing with ice

The scariest moment was when we all came close to dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. The generator was too close to a basement window and the fumes were being sucked right in by a fan being used to dry the basement out. Both Jen and I had burning eyes, headaches and had no idea what was causing it. Finally Jen realized it was the generator and had her husband shut it off. As soon as he opened the basement door the carbon monoxide detector went crazy. It was a close call and I am so thankful that we had the burning eyes. Most people just feel tired then die in their sleep.

On Tueday night around 5:30 the power came back on!! We all cheered:) It was in the 50's once we made it home, but I didn't care. I was just so glad to be here.

Please continue to pray or send positive vibes to those who are still with out power. I just hope they get it back in time for Christmas.


10 people showing me love:

Mama Skates December 18, 2008 7:46 PM  

wow, i can't even imagine being without power for 5 days! and with kiddos?! 4get about it!!! glad u're back home in the heat!

Melissa December 18, 2008 8:47 PM  

I bet you are glad to be back home. Every time I see your area on the news I pray for you guys!! Glad your home.

ModernMommy December 18, 2008 10:06 PM  

Bummer. Thank God for good neighbors though!

Anonymous December 18, 2008 11:39 PM  

I'm so glad y'all caught the carbon monoxide in time! That had to be scary. I'm also glad your power is back. What a blessing to have such great friends!

Trace December 19, 2008 1:47 AM  

The storm in NH was all over the news down here! I couldn't believe it! I'm so glad you're all ok and have power again! I really feel for the people who still don't!

Trace

Anonymous December 19, 2008 8:34 AM  

Wow, that's quite something.

I always feel that nature has a way of making you realize how vulnerable we really are as humans.

I'm glad you've got power back.

Heidi December 19, 2008 8:56 AM  

Wow! What a difference between NH and SC, we have been sweating in close to 80 degree days. We had to put the AC on yesterday!!! I miss the cold (but not the ice storms of course). Glad to hear you are back home safely.

Rebekah Gonzalez December 19, 2008 2:14 PM  

All I can say is BLEH...Cant wait for summer again! :)

FlipFlop Mom December 21, 2008 3:12 AM  

Is this weather NOT the craziest??? I'm sorry you were without power... we had it.. and I was surprised.. BUT.. no complaining... Now we're snowed in.. and from what I hear.. more snow to come!! YIKES!!!
I'm such a slacker though and haven't take the kids pictures yet for Christmas cards... I'm doing that tomorrow.. we have enough snow now... Ü and I'm sending my daughter out to make the cards up...nice to have an 18 year old for that.. Ü

Dianna December 21, 2008 4:56 PM  

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas! Another year is passing with good blogging friends who played a special part in our lives! Thank you

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP