8.21.2008

Not what I expected

When Lani's blood was tested for her food allergy levels I thought for sure that we would see major improvement. Boy was I wrong:( Her doctor called today with the results:

*Egg: almost completely gone. We still have to be careful for one more year, but she is certain that she'll outgrow it by her 3rd birthday.

*Beef: much worse then last year and we have to avoid it COMPLETELY. She can't even touch it or let her other food touch it. I don't think that Lani has ever ingested beef so this one will be easy. We use turkey around here for spaghetti sauce, burgers, etc.

*Milk: this is also much worse then last year. We don't have to completely avoid milk if it's baked in to something, but even that should be limited. Right now her only milk consumption is in pancakes, waffles, cookies, etc so it shouldn't be impossible either.

I am heading out to our food coop tonight to see what they have for dairy free foods, snacks, and treats. I think I may just cook her some waffles with soy milk and freeze them. I really think this will be the cheaper alternative to buying the EXPENSIVE frozen ones in the freezer section. Also no more peeling cheese off pizza and giving it to her. She has to have completely "cheeseless" pizza. Looks like I need to find a good home made pizza crust recipe:) I think I remember Autumn posting one on her old blog.

I feel much more calm about this then I did when we first heard about Lani's allergies. Thank goodness that one of my best friends is a vegan because she is so helpful with the dairy and beef free alternatives.

12 people showing me love:

Melissa August 21, 2008 4:03 PM  

I just had Katelyns blood drawn yesterday to test her for allergies because her eczema is so bad. I may be hitting you up for some advice!

Drea August 21, 2008 4:20 PM  

beef wouldnt be hard. i hate beef.. but milk.. thats hard.
u should read kellys blog.
http//seethefam.blogspot.com
all 3 of her kids have lots of alleriges..

like milk, egg, peanuts, watermelon (ever hear of that! haha) cucumber, and a few more. She has to be very careful. one time caleb drank milk at her house.. and bite a toy.. seconds later their daughter bit it and broke out in a terrible red rash.. all from a tiny residue from calebs spit.

Mama Skates August 21, 2008 4:46 PM  

wow, rough news - i can't even imagine having to work around that! good luck girl!

Anonymous August 21, 2008 10:06 PM  

Sorry to hear the discouraging news. I hope you are able to find some things to make and freeze...that's a great idea! I'll try to dig up some good recipes for you. What are some things Lani likes to eat that she can have?

Jesser August 22, 2008 5:28 AM  

Bummer!! I know there are lots of great vegan recipes out there, though ... have you checked out Veganomicon? If not, you must! Best of luck with the adaptations. And at least she'll never know what she's missing ... :(

SJINCO August 22, 2008 2:18 PM  

Wow, food allergies are really tough. I have some weird ones myself (avacado, grapes just to name a few) so I know how hard it is for you.

You'll adjust, it'll just take some time and patience! And vegan might not be a bad route to take, period!

Andrea August 22, 2008 5:39 PM  

Wow...that's too bad. I know that it is hard to find food for people who have allergies sometimes...at least she's getting rid of the egg allergy though!

suzspeaks August 22, 2008 8:11 PM  

Man, that is not great news!!

I was so excited to see you as a contributor on momspark!!

Jessica August 22, 2008 9:02 PM  

Wow, I'm sure that's difficult for both of you! I have an excellent pizza dough recipe (very easy, too!). Just let me know if you'd like it!

AM August 22, 2008 10:45 PM  

Gosh, sorry. You are def. lucky to have a vegan friend. That's a tough diet to work with. Especially the milk and cheese!

Emmakirst August 26, 2008 8:17 AM  

Wow, that's gotta be tough, i'm glad you have a friend who has some ideas, that'll be some help. It's true you don't realize how hard it would be to avoid allergens until faced with it.

Shannon August 26, 2008 2:34 PM  

I have seen soy cheese in the store... and is she only allergic to cow's milk... because if she is then you can use sheep and goats cheese and milk...

But awesome news about the eggs... that is great news...

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP