7.10.2008

In a small town

I live in a small town. Although I love where I have made my home for the past 7 years there are times when I wish I lived in a bigger city. I hate driving 30 minutes to Walmart, Target, Malls, etc. I hate that there is no summer camps or programs for Wesley that cost more than I make in a week. I hate the we don't even have a playground for the kiddos or a big park for us to run around in. I hate that we don't have museums, culture, play areas. I hate that we don't have a dentist, doctor, or any medical offices. I hate that there is nothing for teenagers to do.


Then I go out into my front yard and listen. All I hear is the wind in the trees, birds chirping, and a few of the neighborhood children playing next door. This is when I remember all the reasons I love my small town. I love that I don't have to listen to horns blaring, cars revving, or sirens screaming. I love that I can sit on my front deck and watch my children play with out worrying about them running out into a busy street. I love that Wesley can run over to his best friends house and I don't have to worry about him being kidnapped or hurt along the way. I love that everyone in Wesley's school knows him and I don't have to worry about his safety while he is there. I love that we have a very low crime rate and the most we hear about is vandalism. I love living so close to a lake where we spend most of our Summer. I love that when I go in to the library Pam knows all of us by name and remembers our last question from 6 weeks prior. I love that with these expensive gas prices I am discovering the businesses that have been hidden gems in my town all along. I love that Wesley goes to a karate school who recognizes this is a small town and charges half of what bigger city schools do all while giving more personal instruction. I love going for walks around my neighborhood and recognizing everyone who I pass.

Daddy and Lani

The little island that we walk to often. Nothing to do but relax and explore

I am so blessed that I am able to raise Wesley and Lani here. I am happy that my "loves" out weigh my "hates". I am excited to know that we plan on making this our home for a long, long, time. Of course if it didn't snow so much in the winter things would be PERFECT:) I thought of a new photography project that I want to take on. I plan on going around the town and taking photos of people, places, and things that mean so much to me. I saw someone else on Flickr (i think) do this and it turned out fabulous. So, lets see what this little camera of mine can do. I may even look into renting a better zoom lens from a camera shop. Our town also will be having a photography contest at this years old home day. I plan on entering a photo all though I have no idea which on yet. Maybe I will pick a few and then have you all vote.

13 people showing me love:

Jesser July 10, 2008 3:10 PM  

Such a wonderful thing. I love suburbia and would probably miss my close haunts, but a farm or a small town sounds really wonderful some days!

Mrs. Stam July 10, 2008 4:24 PM  

WE love our small town too! I personnaly hate mall or shopping so I don't miss not having them around!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Magnolia Sun July 10, 2008 5:17 PM  

what a wonderful post and a beautiful picture.

Amanda July 10, 2008 7:40 PM  

I grew up in a tiny town and I miss it. Now I live in a pretty big city on one of the busiest streets, and hate it at times.

Your town sounds peaceful. cant wait to see pictures of your surrondings. think i might do the same. tfs!! :)

Jessica July 10, 2008 8:55 PM  

What a great way to look at things! I'm glad you're loves outweigh your hates. I'm such a city girl & have that deep down feeling that I must be within 5 minutes of a grocery store. :) Ray wants to live in the country...we'll see what happens. :)

AM July 10, 2008 11:20 PM  

renting a lense before buying is a great idea and you are lucky your local shop does that! And yes, enter the contest and let us know how that goes!

Anonymous July 11, 2008 2:26 AM  

I'd give anything to live farther away from the city! While we're definitely in a "suburb"...it's growing far too quickly. I'm definitely a farm girl at heart!

Chastity July 11, 2008 10:17 AM  

It's so important to love where you live. While some people love downtown living and couldn't handle not being able to walk to their favorite stores, and some of us like living somewhere in between, I completely understand the draw of living in a very small town....except for the snow...that I couldn't handle.

Mama Skates July 11, 2008 11:01 AM  

i heart country life but do miss the conveniences of city living sometimes....in the end, i see curtis & i growing old together in rural life :0)

can't wait to see ur pic project!

Drea July 12, 2008 11:20 PM  

love the pic! so sweet.
btw cute new header :-)

Anonymous July 13, 2008 4:46 PM  

It's so funny that you wrote this. We were just camping in Henniker this past week and had a very similar discussion. As you know, we currently live in Manchester. We could walk to the mall or WalMart if we wanted to! While camping, we had the chance to drive around and admire the homes and the privacy...we even talked about possibly selling and moving further north. Then I started to wonder how I would handle being so far from all the conveniences I'm so used to! Maybe someday we will move to a small town...your loves definately ring true to all my cons!

Emma in Canada July 18, 2008 2:30 PM  

Love this post! I'm a city girl I think, but William would definitely prefer a small town.

My favourite picture of yours is still the mistake one, with Lani holding your hand.

Ashley July 23, 2008 5:46 PM  

What a way to be positive. Most people don't keep that in mind often enough and always focus on the downside, so good for you! And hopefully I can remember that. Plus, who needs a park when you've got that piece of heaven right there?

Who am I?

My photo
I live in New Hampshire with my husband Michael and my two kiddos, Wesley(11) and Lani(5)! I own a home child care so I can be home with my children.I have a passion for creating scrapbooks and taking photos. I'm in the process of starting my very own photography business:} I love to spend time with my family, going on day trips and other adventures! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Photo Contests

Followers

Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from WeSnLaNi. Make your own badge here.

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP